Sunday, September 10, 2006


STEVE IRWIN

I'm not very good with this type of thing, but I wanted to show my respect and love for a man who encapsulated what it means - to me - to be an Aussie. Steve Irwin was a larrikin of the truest order. He had a love of animals and deep desire for the world to share that love, as well as a natural ability to educate and entertain. While some Australians cringed at his colloquialisms and charged him with lowering the world's view of Australia, to most he was a good bloke with a great sense of humour and a way with words that hearkened back to the days when it was totally OK to call someone 'mate' without being accused of being misogynistic or politically incorrect. I grew up in the country, away from Big City snobbery, and can say in all honesty Steve's way of talking - and his enthusiasm for all living creatures - was an everyday part of my life. Despite living in a big city now, I still use words like 'crikey', 'struth' and 'fair dinkum' regularly. Whenever I heard Steve Irwin use such words, I would always smile and get a warm glow - I am a proud Aussie and so was he. Perhaps the one of the proudest.

Irwin was a passionate conservationist and believed in promoting environmentalism by sharing his excitement about the natural world rather than preaching to people. He was concerned with conservation of endangered animals and land clearing leading to loss of habitat. He considered conservation to be the most important part of his work: "I consider myself a wild-life warrior. My mission is to save the world's endangered species." Irwin bought "large tracts of land" in Australia, Vanuatu, Fiji and the United States, which he described as "like national parks" and stressed the importance of people realising that they could each make a difference. He had urged people to take part in considerate tourism and not support illegal poaching through the purchase of items such as turtle shells, or shark-fin soup.

His untimely death is shocking and will leave a massive hole in the hearts of many people. It is a great loss and my condolences go out to his family, Terri, Bindi and Bob.

Lexxie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home