Thursday, October 19, 2006

Stephen King and Frank Darabont together again!!! YAY!!


I love Stephen King's books. I love Frank Darabont's films. Shawshank Redemption is my favourite film - a Frank Darabont flim based on a Stephen King novella... so imagine how happy I was to read this at moviehole.net when I came home from work this afternoon....

"Someone's Mist Opportunity
October 19, 2006
Dimension Films have snapped up the rights to the Stephen King novella ..The Mist.. and have tapped Frank Darabont (..The Green Mile..) to transform it into a feature.

According to Variety, Darabont - who also directed the film version of King adaptation ..The Shawshank Redemption.. .. will direct from his own script.

King entrusted the rights to him several years ago, when Darabont had a first-look deal at Paramount. Darabont is in the final stages of reclaiming rights to his script.

"It's a project Stephen King and I have been talking about doing for almost 20 years now," Darabont said. "In fact, it almost was my first directing project many years ago, but I went classy and did "The Shawshank Redemption" instead. It's time to get down and dirty and make a nasty little character-driven gut-punch horror movie."

Dimension co-chairman Bob Weinstein and production president Richard Saperstein have set a spring production start for the film, which Darabont will produce with Castle Rock's Martin Shafer and Liz Glotzer. The latter steered "Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile."

Published in 1985 as part of King's short story collection "Skeleton Crew," "The Mist" takes place in a small town where a thick mist engulfs the area, killing those caught in its darkness. Terrified survivors seek refuge in a supermarket, while a swarm of murderous critters tries to get in.

Weinstein cited that dual fright dynamic as his prime attraction to the project.

"I'm a fan of films like 'Saw,' 'Wolf Creek' and 'Hostel,' but when I started Dimension, Stephen King and his ability to create real character-based thrills in 'Misery,' 'Carrie' and 'The Shining' was an inspiration for the kind of films I wanted to make," Weinstein said. "This is a great opportunity to get one of those classic properties and to work with Frank, who handles Stephen's work so well."

Thomas Jane is in talks to star."

Yay!! I'm as excited as I was when I heard Steven Spielberg was making the Transformers movie (and that's pretty excited). Now my only question is...

... who the hell is Thomas Jane???

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! I LOVE Stephen King! Have read most of his books and have all of them!!! It'll be great to see someone actually make a movie of his "Scary"! *gasp* Did I say that? LOL
Umm, Lex? What do you mean - who the hell is Thomas Jane??? OY! Where have you been, hon? LOL Try this: http://www.thomasjane.com and let me know what you think! I first saw him in Deep, Blue Sea and I thought he was great! I heard he was great in The Punisher!

{{{HUGS}}}

6:54 am  
Blogger Lexxie Couper said...

OMG! NOW I know who he is!!! I'm actually ashamed. Deep Blue Sea is a fav of mine! I feel sooooooo stoopid! : )

8:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel ashamed - you have to admit that the last name of Jane just doesn't go with that man! LOL

10:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home